I’ve searched my bookmarks and gathered your tips, culminating in a selection of sites, books, posts, and designers.
Click a topic to jump.
- Type foundries
- Logo history
- Design agencies
- Independent identity designers
- Style guides and manuals
- Further resources
- Hoefler & Frere-Jones, H&FJ works with brand leaders in every sector, developing original typefaces and licensing fonts from its library of nearly 1,000 designs
- Porchez Typofonderie, an independent digital type foundry in France, designing, manufacturing and selling high quality typefaces
- OurType, founded in 2002, OurType is managed by three partners: Fred Smeijers, Corina Cotorobai and Rudy Geeraerts
- Village, the union of eleven young type foundries who have decided to go it alone, together
- P22, creates computer typefaces inspired by art, history, and sometimes science
- FontShop, around for 16 years, since the dawn of digital type
- Process Type Foundry, from a studio in Golden Valley, Minnesota
- Colophon, set-up by Brighton-based studio Entente
- Type foundries worth a look, a slightly larger resource, with commentator recommendations, too
- Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities, second edition (2014)
- Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team by Alina Wheeler
- Symbol by Angus Hyland and Steven Bateman
- Logo by Michael Evamy
- Decoding Design by Maggie Macnab
- Marks of Excellence by Per Mollerup
- LogoLounge 4 // LogoLounge 3 // LogoLounge 2 // LogoLounge
- Tres Logos // Dos Logos // Los Logos
Catch a few more recommended reads here: A few good books.
- History of popular logo designs, categorised in alphabetical order with a search feature, too
- The Evolution of Tech Company Logos, how famous logos came to be, from Neatorama
- The Evolution of Car Logos, more historical insights over on Neatorama
- Branding Firefox, a short insight into the history of the Firefox browser
“Logo trends” is a bit of an oxymoron. Granted, a logo should live and grow with a brand, but it shouldn’t adhere to the latest fads. Because of which I don’t much like these features, but I know they prove popular, so here you go.
- 2011 trends // 2010 // 2009 // 2008 // 2007 // 2006 // 2005 // 2004 // 2003
Bill Gardner of LogoLounge takes us through trends from the last decade according to the logos that have been uploaded to his website — and that’s a lot of logos.
- Logo trends in 2009 // and in 2008
- 100 unused logos and what they reveal about my design inclinations
An excellent insight behind the designer by Armin of Speak Up.
- 6 reasons why a logo should cost more than your lunch
Tara of Graphic Design Blog writes a short but sweet article.
- Logos with a meaning
An extra insight into a selection of logos, by Ivan of CreativeBits.
- How many speech bubble logos have you seen lately?
A fraction of what’s going down out there in Web Bubble Logo Land.
- The LogoWorks saga
A huge collection of articles about the multi-million dollar business, LogoWorks.
- Johnson Banks
- The Brand Union
- The Partners
- ico design
- Chermayeff & Geismar
Independent identity designers
- David Airey
Yours truly. Shameless.
- Miles Newlyn
- Andrew Sabatier
- Nancy Wu
- Denis Radenkovic, of 38one
- Roy Smith
- Wolda // 2008 winners showcase
This is what used to be called Eulda (below), but has since expanded into the World Logo Design Awards (Wolda)
- Eulda 2007 winners // 2006 winners
The winning entries from the European Logo Design Awards (Eulda) from 2007 and 2006.
- Identity: Best of 2007 winners // 2006 winners
The results of an international logo design competition, judged by an experienced panel.
- Identity Designed, case studies from around the world
- Identityworks, by Tony Spaeth
- Brand New, Armin Vit focuses on corporate and brand identity work
- Speak Up on Identity, from the now defunct Speak Up
- FIFA World Cup logos from 1950 to 2010
- 50 Olympic logos from 1924 to 2016
- The Logo Design Love category for “designs”
- 10 examples of simple effective logos
Style guides and manuals
- Brand identity style guides from around the world
- Identityworks: Tools – Guidelines and Standards Manuals
- Channel 4 identity style guides
- Corporate Identity Documentation
- Boston University Brand Identity Standards
- NHS Brand Guidelines
- Designing Style Guidelines For Brands And Websites
- Christopher Doyle Brand Guidelines, write-up on Johnson Banks
- Iconic logo designers — some of the worlds most iconic designers
- Corporate identity catalogue — showing typefaces and Pantone references for some of the worlds main identites
- Forums for design feedback — upload work for what’s hopefully constructive criticism
- LogoLounge, paid registration for inclusion in the book series
- Designguide’s logo gallery — English translation of a German site about design and logos
- LogoPond, similar to LogoLounge, except free
- The big page of branding and corporate identity resources — covers manuals, guides, trademarking, laws, and more, from LogoOrange.com
- Sites for vector logo downloads — for when you need a well-known EPS file in a hurry
Hopefully that’ll keep you occupied for a while.